Want to paint the town red but you've run out of fun things to do? Montgomery can be a bit boring if you don't know where to look for the magic. We're here to help you find the top ten "artsy" things to do in Montgomery.
10) See a local band! You can find anything from rockin' party bands, smoky jazz and blues, to country twang at many of the local bars and pubs in the area. Here are some bands worthy of mention:
The Spicolis: They put their own twist on eighties and nineties hits as well as today's chart toppers. Look for them at Gators in Montgomery.
The Zigtones, Roosevelt Franklyn, and the Stuart McNair Band: Look for them all at 1048 Jazz and Blues. You will be delighted by songs from the Allman brothers as well as great originals. So go in, schmooze, and chillax at this delightfully eclectic bar.
Anyone playing at Sous La Terre: A late night at this smoky piano bar is the classic, yet surprisingly mellow way to top off your night.
9. Eat at a Celebrated Local Restaurant! Okay, so this isn't that artsy, but it's definitely worth the rave:
Cheap and Dirty: Go get that delicious hot dog at Chris' on Dexter's Avenue! Take a bite out of nostalgia, knowing that if your parents grew up in Montgomery, chances are they ate here. Don't forget the Hamburger King. While I shamefully admit that I have never had the elusive Hamburger King Burger, I look forward to the day when I might taste such perfection and so should you!
Mid-range and Comfy: Ladies, take your friends out to lunch for delightfully light southern fair at the Sliver Spoon Cafe. The tea room is charmingly bedecked with cherubs at Leslie Bailey's original venue.
Upscale and chic – Bonefish. Foggedabout it being a chain and know that our local Bonefish management goes the extra mile to make every meal one to remember. Great fresh seafood, enticing appetizers, decadent desserts, and GREAT bartenders!
La Jolla – Chef Todd Batey always offers a creative menu well-suited to the upscale
7) Attend a performance of the
Feb 10, March 2 – Sleeping Beauty
Alabama Dance Theatre
Feb 29; March 1– 2. Spring Performance featuring classical and contemporary works.
6) See the permanent collection at MMFA.
The Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts has an out-of-this-world permanent collection! From the American Collection to Old Masters, to distinctly southern artists, the MMFA contains
5) Attend a performance of the
Maestro Thomas Hinds diligently works each season to bring Montgomery the finest in live orchestral performance. Spend an evening in the gorgeous Davis Theatre soaking in a live Symphony performance. The next performance, by Beethoven's Pastorale Symphony, is scheduled for February 18th and will include an arrangement of Handel's famed Water Music.
2) Take a child to any of the above. Whether it's a brother, child, sister, or long lost third cousin twice removed, it is important that children get to experience and be inspired by the arts.
1) Become a subscriber at ASF! Wow. I have seen Crowns and Peter Pan twice. I balled my eyes out during Crowns along with Afton-- both times. My best friend recognized the song sung in Yoruba because she sang it in church while growing up in Nigeria, and was very impressed with the authenticity of the production. During Peter Pan, my Civil engineer roomie was so impressed that she exclaimed during one of the few moments of silence, "Wow, it's Peter Pan! Peter Pan is flying!" The second time I took my mom and two little sisters, and they sat on the edge of their seat during the performance and pranced down the aisles picking up mylar during intermission. They were so enamored with the production and wanted me to prove to them that Peter Pan was indeed a girl.
You've missed out on Peter Pan and Crowns, but don't worry: this season boasts of numerous spectacular productions! Here's the schedule:
Jan 12- Feb 24 Winnie the Pooh. Performances are only on Saturday and Sunday.
Mar 7- Apr 6 Over the Tavern.
Apr 11- Jun 28 Romeo and Juliet.
Apr 18-May 18 Rocket City.
Apr 25- Jun 28 Cymbeline.May 2- Jun 29 Alexandre Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo
July 11-19 The Beaux' Stratagem
Jul 18- Aug 24 West Side Story