Friday, February 12, 2010

Ask an Actor: Stagefright


Our first ever Ask an Actor question comes from Rodney via Facebook:

Q: During public speaking I sometimes feel a little stage fright. Do you guys ever feel the same during a performance? If so, what are your secret methods of getting over it? 

A: Stage fright is a common fear among people of all ages. 

Personally, I haven't had a problem with stage fright. That being said, I am usually nervous before a performance (and sometimes rehearsal!) but I think of it as "good nerves," aka: anticipation or excitement. If you are feeling butterflies in your stomach before a public speaking engagement, my advice would be to close your eyes and take a few deep breaths, while imagining yourself to be successful. Try to channel your nerves into positive energy and use that energy to give you a little kick!

You may have heard the old "picture them naked" trick. Some people find this useful. I find it awkward. But if it works for you, then that's great! All you do is picture your audience without clothing, which I think is to make you feel less embarrassed and more empowered. The problem with this, for me, is that if I pictured 1000+ audience members without any clothes on, it would probably make me MORE embarrassed. Or break out into laughter. Neither of which would really be good for the play. But I digress.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to be utterly and completely prepared. Know what you are going to say. Know the information you have to get across. Practice, practice, practice. Ask if you can practice for your significant other, or a friend. Personally, I am always the most nervous when I know a family member is in the audience, or a friend, because their opinions are so important to me. If you can practice your speech or presentation for someone close to you, it might be easier when you get up in front of others.

Once you do get up there, just remember, your audience wants you to succeed. Crack a joke if you're feeling nervous, it will help to calm you and everyone else down. Then, just trust yourself!


Ask an Actor is a new feature where you can ask an actor anything! Submit your questions here in the comments or on ASF's Facebook page or by direct messaging @AlabamaShakes on twitter. Questions are answered by ASF actor Lauren Sowa. You can see Lauren in the upcoming productions of Hamlet and All's Well that Ends Well. Keep an eye out for the next Ask an Actor post!